Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Chinese week complete

So Monday night the Chinese kids came back from Southern Utah.  We got Star and Jack back.  It turns out that they were two of the boys who stayed here Friday night.

Trevor teaching them the finer points of ice cream sundaes.

We put them to work on Tuesday making chicken kabobs.

Jumping on the trampoline with LuLu.  I am guessing they haven't spent a lot of time on trampolines.

Star, Jack and LuLu.
 So on Tuesday, Jack was playing with LuLu and she bit his thumb.  I am guessing he was taking the ball out of her mouth or was making her jump up to grab a toy.  Anyway, he was a little worried about the danger of rabies.  He told me about bleeding, but I just blew it off.  It was barely a scratch.

On Friday night, we went to the Real Salt Lake game.  I kept receiving phone calls but didn't answer them cuz I didn't know who it was and I couldn't hear anyway.  On the way home, one of the neighbors finally got a hold of Dan.  They asked if Jack got bit by a dog.  We asked him and he said, "no."  Then they asked if he told his mom that he got bit by a dog.  He said, "yes."

Apparently, the Chinese word for "bit" and "attack" is the same.  His poor mother was worried that he had been attacked by a dog.  The teachers from his school were convinced that the reason they couldn't reach us was because we were at the hospital with Jack.  We went straight to their house from the soccer game to show them how tiny the bite was.  They were still concerned.  I had to send LuLu's vet records to them to prove she did not have rabies.  Then I spent 2 hours on IM reassuring Jack's mother through Star's mother that Jack was fine.   They had even called the director in San Francisco to see what should be done.  I think LuLu almost started a major war between China and USA.

Star made lunch for us on Saturday.  We asked him what it was called.  He said, "eggs, tomatoes and onions."

Jack loves basketball.  They had a friend over and shot some hoop.

Mike, Star and Jack

Star's favorite thing he did all week was the Kinect.  Jack liked the Bees and Real games.  Sorry Zions, Shakespeare Festival, Kennecott Copper Mine, Park City, Capital Bldg, Gateway and Temple Square.

Dan took them on a tour of Bountiful Mazda.

Tad and I had them help us load the candy machine.
We had a great time getting to know Jack and Star.  They were very polite, happy and helpful.  We had a talent show on Saturday with the youth from our ward and the Chinese students.  Star played the guitar and sang and Jack played the hulusi.  Dan thought it was very cool so Jack gave it to him.  

They also each gave us a photo book from their district.  It was very similar looking to Utah.  So much so that  we found a pic that has the exact same rock formations as are in Monument Valley, Utah.  I mean exact!  Oops, I don't want to say anymore...we already have the LuLu incident on our record.


1 comment: