If you ever go to Maui, it is best to go the first day to watch the sunrise on Haleakala. We had to get up at 2 am, but that is only 6 am Utah time so it's not that bad.
It is freezing cold that early and high (10,000 feet), but Dan loves it. He took 128 pics. Here are a few:
The start of the hike. We hadn't really decided how far we would hike. I would recommend that you decide first. We chose the 11 mile option.
It's pretty easy to find the trail!
I just kept chanting, "as I walk into the shadow of the valley of death" really slowly.
I "accidentally" wore the shoes I bought for our Hana hike to the volcano. The trail is called "sliding sands." Not so good for shoes with holes in them. I had to empty them out every couple of miles.
The Silversword only grows in Haleakala Crater.This was the only one we saw in bloom.
The lowest point of the crater. not one bit of vegetation anywhere.
Kind of felt like we were on the moon.
Beautiful scenery. Dan's favorite hike ever!
One of 3 rental cabins in the crater. Around mile 8 for us. Had a picnic table and an outhouse.
Both godsends!
Both godsends!
Cute girls from Quebec that caught up to us at the cabin. We had lunch with them. They were staying 5 weeks in Hawaii just cruising around.
We didn't really notice on the map that the switchbacks at the end of the hike were all UPHILL. Killer way to finish a long hike. We were in mist most of the time so didn't get to see how far we had come or even better, how far we had to go.
All of my practice on the balance beam paid off as I crossed this catwalk between the mountains.
Very Cool!
Another beautiful view of the crater. Dan just kept saying, "we are in the middle of a crater on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean." This really was the best hike we have ever been on.

No comments:
Post a Comment